On this day one of Teacher Appreciation Week of course all I could think of was Van Halen's "Hot For Teacher" in all of it's appalling and inappropriate glory. So, for us fans of the good ol' politically incorrect 80's here are some fun facts about this 1984 song and video as I try and link it to the appreciation of teachers across America.
- this was the last song and video David Lee Roth made with the band before his departure in 1985.
- as popular and well known as this song is, it only peaked at #56 on the Billboard chart.
- Eddie Van Halen used a 1958 Gibson Flying V guitar to do the amazing solo, and today, May of 2018, Gibson has filed for bankruptcy.
- this song single handedly coined the phrases "I don't feel tardy" and "Sit down Waldo"..Waldo's voice was dubbed by SNL's Phil Hartman
- finally, this video was the nail in the coffin for Tipper Gore (wife of then Senator Al Gore) in regards to her feelings on tasteless and inappropriate songs and videos. By May of 1985 she started Parents Music Resource Center and lobbied to have record companies create a ratings system on music and videos. But when the PMRC reviewed popular music and released the "Filthy Fifteen" it included Madonna, AC/DC and Sheena Easton but NOT Van Halen. LOL sorry Tipper.
Watch the official music video for "Hot For Teacher" by Van Halen