Talk about a tribute...wow. After the truly incredible Dolores O'Riordan left this earth well before her time, the band Bad Wolves wanted to not only honor The Cranberries emotionally ferocious lead singer, but give back to her family.
Here's the story:
Bad Wolves, was set to record their unique cover of my personal favorite Cranberries song "Zombie" with Dolores re-recording her own vocals for the track, but, tragically, she died just before the session was officially on the books.
Wayne Isham, the director of the video writes:
On January 15, 2018, The Cranberries' Dolores O'Riordan was set to reprise her iconic vocals on Bad Wolves' cover of 'Zombie.' That day she tragically left the world. In her memory, Bad Wolves released the song, donating proceeds to her children."
So Bad Wolves, who were in the studio recording their debut album Disobey, decided to go ahead and record the song anyway using their own lead singer, Tommy Vext's voice, with the promise of donating all proceeds from the track to her kids. The result is pretty stunning.
Now that the video is out there which includes many references to O'Riordan, the original song and the original video, people have been going crazy over it. (below)
My take away is this:
- Great tribute to Dolores and wonderful for her to be honored after her death seemed to have gone relatively unrecognized.
- Bad Wolves truly cares. They will make no money on the track since they have vowed to give all the proceeds of their recording of it to her beautiful children. Bravo Bad Wolves.
- It brings a 90's Alt Rock classic right into present day view, and sorry you next generational types, it has to happen. You gotta find it in your heart and soul to give a care about "old" alternative and modern rock music. Why? because it is important to know from which today's music evolved.
- As a new generation discovers "Zombie" thanks to Bad Wolves, the track proves that it is a timeless hit with staying power that reaches all generations.
- Plus, Bad Wolves totally rocks the song!
So thank you Bad Wolves. Thank you not only for your talent and musicianship but for your generosity and for finding a new generation of rockers what once was.
The track will appear on the band's debut album Disobey, coming out May 18th on Eleven Seven Music, and Bad Wolves stops at the Xfinity Center opening for Five Finger Death Punch and Breaking Benjamin.
Listen, rock out and weep...Watch the viral video here:
Official music video for 'Zombie' by Bad Wolves. Buy or Stream 'Disobey' - https://smarturl.it/badwolves_disobey Follow Bad Wolves on Spotify: http://spoti.fi/2lDHUIl Follow Bad Wolves: Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/badwolvesofficial/ Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/badwolvesofficial/ Twitter: https://twitter.com/badwolves Bad Wolves - Zombie (Lyrics): Another head hangs lowly Child is slowly taken And the violence causes silence Who are we mistaken?
Here's the 1994 original:
Music video by The Cranberries performing Zombie. (C) 1994 The Island Def Jam Music Group