The iconic cult classic This is Spinal Tap was released in theaters 34 years ago today (March 2.) It is easily one of the most quotable, funniest films of all time to the point where even the biggest rock stars of all time can own up to its painfully true moments.
The cast and director Rob Reiner are in the middle of a nasty lawsuit right now, but let’s not let legalities get in the way of having a laugh. In honor of the anniversary of the film’s theatrical release, we’ve gathered 11 of our favorite quotes from This is Spinal Tap. For the sake of variety, we’ve omitted “These go to 11,” because obviously, it’s the most-enduring quote from the film, and there’s some that deserve more attention.
(Note: This list isn’t ranked either, because ranking each line would be like asking us which Spinal Tap drummer was our favorite. It’s simply too hard of a question to answer.)
1. “Here lies David St. Hubbins…and why not”
2. “You don’t do heavy metal in Dubly, you know.”
3. “I do not, for one, think that the problem was that the band was down. I think that the problem may have been that there was a Stonehenge monument on the stage that was in danger of being crushed by a dwarf.”
Uploaded by Lele Chaplin on 2015-05-02.
4. “Well, this piece is called ‘Lick My Love Pump.’”
5. “It’s such a fine line between stupid, and uh…clever”
6. “This miniature bread…”
7. “The review you had on ‘Shark Sandwich,’ which was merely a two-word review, just said ‘Shit sandwich.’”
8. “He was the patron saint of quality footwear.” – David St. Hubbins on the origin of his last name.
9. “We're very lucky in the band in that we have two visionaries, David and Nigel, they're like poets, like Shelley and Byron. They're two distinct types of visionaries, it's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water.”
Uploaded by Matt Cherry on 2013-07-13.
10. “None more black”
Classic Line from "Spinal Tap."
11. “Well, so what? What's wrong with bein' sexy?” “Sex-IST!”
Spinal Tap on Feminism http://www.moviesucktastic.com https://itunes.apple.com/podcast/moviesucktastic/id338040545?mt=2 http://www.facebook.com/Moviesucktastic Voicemail: 1-908-514-4470 E-mail: [email protected]
Erica Banas is a rock/classic rock blogger who once did a presentation in a college public speaking course about why The Rolling Stones were better than The Beatles. (She received an A.)