The "Bombogenesis" is coming...not fake news I realize, because yes this storm (aka: Winter Storm Grayson) looks massive. But my question is, are meteorologists freaking out? Over doing it even? Just check out all of the reports on Twitter and beyond (below). It seems to me that it has become hard to predict how serious we should take these storms since the every day push for TV ratings, social media shares and website click-throughs can cause this type of exaggeration and over excitement by weather reporters.
Now, that being said, this storm does look absolutely ridiculous, even for us hearty New Englanders. Which, believe it or not, is why I am posting this in the first place, (not JUST to be cynical). 😉
So as this is one of just hundreds of storms we've seen in our lifetime, do what you always do to prepare (yes yes, go get the bread and milk if you must).
- Stay inside at the time of the storm.
- Have your shovels ready and your plows and snow-blowers gassed up.
- Charge your electronics, replace the batteries in your flashlights, stock up on candles
- Bring your pets in and of course don't forget to check on your neighbors, especially the elderly.
- I'd say most of all, make sure you have enough pancake mix (nothing screams blizzard like pancakes for dinner!).
Stay safe and have fun working from home, or better yet, taking the day off.
Forecasters are warning the East Coast will be struck by a "Bomb Cyclone." Here's what that means for the region. https://t.co/b9D5dy8efE
All day Thursday meteorologists are going to be glued to the new GOES-East satellite watching a truly amazing extratopical "bomb" cyclone off New England coast. It will be massive -- fill up entire Western Atlantic off U.S. East Coast. Pressure as low as Sandy & hurricane winds
2-3" per hour snowfall rates] The attached images indicate are from one of our computer models indicating the potential for 2-3" per hour snowfall rates by late Thursday morning. Travel will be extremely difficult.